A visit to the Miramare Castle in Trieste
Share this article with friends
The Castle of Miramare stands on the tip of the promontory of Grignano. Its position overlooking the sea, provides the possibility to enjoy a wonderful view over the Gulf of Trieste. The Castle is surrounded by a beautiful park with valuable botanical species where one can relax.A noble residence commissioned by Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian of Habsburg, its interiors feature sumptuous original furniture.
Characterised by the "white towers" described by Carducci, rather than a castle it is an example of a nineteenth-century prince residence, the result of the eclectic architectural style of that period.Built between 1856 and 1860 by Archduke Maximilian of Austria, later Emperor of Mexico, the building is strongly influenced by a Romantic taste, as a revisited construction of a medieval fortress.The archduke personally oversaw both the planning of the building and the layout of the large park (over 22 hectares), an English-style and Italian-style garden, rich in rare plants, sculptures and ponds, which goes down towards the sea with wide steps.The castle is made up of over 20 rooms: particularly valuable are Maximilian's Rooms, among which the bedroom, furnished as a ship's cabin, and the "Throne Room". Since 1955 the castle has been a State museum.
Photography | Ada Hamza